Sunday, March 1, 2009

Irish Moss drink ... Yum!!!


We went to the Buford Highway Farmers Market to pick up some food for dinners for the next week. We make a number of things that are not carried in normal grocery stores, or if they do it is freakishly expensive. Okonomiyaki, goyza, Pockey, and pork katsu. Sometimes I will buy something that I have not seen before just to see what it is like. This time I got Grace Jamacan style Irish Moss Sea Moss.

Now most people may look at this and see the moss part of it and go ick it has moss. Now do not worry it actually has seaweed. See, is that not so much better.

It does sound truly disgusting once you realize that it is a vanilla flavored sweetened condensed milk drink . It gets worse since it is very sweet (real cane sugar) with nutmeg and turmeric in it as well. When i opened it it was so viscus it would not pour from the metal can without an air hole in the other side. Once this happened I went to the wiki to see how to drink the freaking thing.

I found that many people drink it very cold over ice. I tried this and found that it was just weird tasting but neither bad nor good. I would not have drunk it again even if it were given to me for free. Then I tried the suggestion of adding rum to it. That made it taste great. I figure every thing in Jamaica has rum in it. This may explain the laid back nature and reggae. Damn the rum for reggae. I would actually drink this again if I did not have to pay to much for it.

next time I go I will not pick this up again. I will have to look for another freaky food to try and top it. Hopefully it will require the addition of rum to make it taste even better.

No comments:

Post a Comment